Thursday, January 05, 2006

Book Review


I just finished reading *Memoirs of a Geisha* by Arthur Golden. No, I haven't seen the movie and probably won't. The book is so good and from most experiences of movies being made from or based on a book, they usually aren't as good as the book. I'll wait until it comes out on DVD, just to see the photography and listen to the soundtrack.

Back to the book....it's hard to believe that it's a work of fiction. I'm sure somewhere in Japan, there is a girl or woman saying *This is my life.* He takes you into the culture of Japan and the geisha lifestyle. What those girls go through to become geisha is incredible. Geisha is very competitive and *dog eat dog* world. I was immediately sucked into the book and found it hard to put it down.

I don't want to give any of the story away. I will say that the the *facts of life* talk given to the young girl before the bidding war starts on who would take her virginity, involves the *eel* and the *cave.*

I give this book ****+ and highly recommend it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home