Sunday, September 17, 2006

UNDER PENALTY OF PERJURY

I had to renew Shasta, the wonder dog's, rabies tag (license) a few days ago. She had her first shot last year and now she was due for another one. This one is good for three years.

I was looking at the form that came with all the instructions, when I flipped the page over I saw this: I swear or affirm under penalty of perjury, and the box I checked.

WHOA!!!! Penalty of perjury if the county finds out that Shasta is not really spayed after all. How stupid is that? I understand the problem with unwanted dogs and cats. The over population by unresponsible owners and all, but a criminal offence with prison time. Laughable. It's like it was a *real* legal document. The only real thing I've done by checking that box and signing my name and it not being true, is paying $12 instead of $40. Is the *spay police* going to come out and arrest me? How would they ever find out? You certainly can't look at the animal and tell. I suppose an x-ray would show something. They don't even have enough *officers* to go around to pick up a biting dog or a stray.

Curiosity got the better of me and so I *Googled* penalty of perjury. Here's what I found out, it's hardly if ever prosecuted. Why? All the accused has to say is, *Well, it's like this, I really didn't understand. I thought it meant something else.* Case closed. Hmmmm.......I wonder if that would work on the most feared *under penalty of perjury* document we sign every year, the dreaded IRS 1040?

Another interesting encounter happened on Friday. I went to the doctor. While I was paying my bill the question of a PAP smear came up. I was due for one, well maybe. The doctor and I talked about it and he decided that no, 3-5 years would be fine. But he had written it on the cost sheet as something to have done next visit, which he forgot to mark off. The gal doing the paperwork thought I had had it done that day and I said I hadn't. Well, the office manager, which happens to be the doctor's wife was standing there and informed me, *It's a LAW that you have to have one done every year.* A LAW!!!?? I thought I still lived in the US of A. So, now the *PAP police* are going to come after me for not having one done? I wonder how many years that sentence is. A law.....IT'S A RECOMMENDATION, lady, not a law!

Things just like this really strike me as funny and laughable at best. Thanks guys for making my week more fun and entertaining. LOL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home